Can you imagine what it’s like to stand on the bow of an ocean racing yacht with ice cold waves crashing over you, while you’re trying to change a sail before an approaching storm arrives? Or what it’s like to helm that yacht at night, surfing down enormous waves, doing 20 knots at night with only the moon and stars to see by?
Now imagine helping someone else to do just that, helping them to follow their dreams of being part of a team racing across one of the largest oceans in the world. They will be braving inhospitable conditions, extreme tiredness and being cold and wet for days at a time. You can experience it all with them, as part of the team, all from the comfort of your own desk.
I’m looking for forward thinking, adventurous, local businesses who would like to get involved and become a part of my “Shore Team”. A group of like minded people willing to assist with the cost of me undertaking both the 2017 Rolex Fastnet and my Leg of the Clipper Round The World Yacht Race, in return for some pretty exclusive benefits:
Benefits of being a Shore Team Member:
Subject to the level of support, there will be a range of benefits available to sponsors, for example:
- Social Media & Press coverage and credit for being a Shore Team Member
- Mentions on sandrasquire.com, logo and web link on dedicated Shore Team page
- Invitation to exclusive Shore Team Networking events
- Use of Clipper Race Crew Supporter Logo (race team may also allow use of team logo)
- Your brand worn during the race (except Official Race Kit & at Crew Events)
- Use of selected official race images and video footage for marketing purposes
- Use of personal images and video footage taken while onboard
- Use of written materials documenting my training and the race. Including, but not restricted to
– internal & external newsletters, blog articles, postcards etc.
- Personal appearances, talks etc.
- Tour of a Clipper Yacht (by arrangement)
All Shore Team Members will be able to take advantage of promotions for both races, so in effect will potentially be sponsoring two events for one contribution.
The Clipper Round The World Yacht Race:
Billed as one of the biggest challenges of the natural world and an endurance test like no other, the Clipper Race sees over 700 amateur sailors come together on a matched fleet of twelve 70ft racing yachts, to take on the world’s toughest oceans. The brainchild of Sir Robin Knox-Johnston, the first person to sail solo non-stop around the world, the 2017-18 race is the eleventh edition. It is a supreme challenge taken on by ordinary, every day people. Divided into 8 individual legs, I am signed up to take part in Leg 8.
Clipper Race Leg 8:
Leaving North America, sailing 3350 miles across the North Atlantic, close to the site where the Titanic sunk and the Flemish Cap, the fishing ground made famous in the film ‘The Perfect Storm’. Leg 8 consists of 3 races and 22 days at sea, stopping first at Derry-Londonderry, Northern Europe and then finally bringing the fleet home to London.
The 2017 Rolex Fastnet Race:
A legendary offshore race, with a maximum of 340 competing boats facing what can be some of the most demanding conditions in yacht racing. The 2017 race starts from Cowes on Sunday 6th August, leaving the English Channel, boats continue into the Irish Sea, where they will head round the infamous Fastnet Rock and lighthouse, before heading back, finishing the 605 mile race in Plymouth. I will be joining the Clipper Race Team for the Fastnet.
I’ve lived in West Norfolk for four years. I’m a Borough Councillor, County Council Candidate, Approved Parliamentary Candidate and School Governor. I’m a mum of two, a charity fundraiser, an outspoken campaigner for Autism Awareness and former businesswoman. I started sailing dinghies three years ago on the North Norfolk coast, my love of the sea combined with a fearless nature, encouraged me to take on the enormous personal challenge of taking part in the Clipper Round The World Yacht Race and the Rolex Fastnet Race. Also using the opportunity to raise money for four Norfolk charities. (Wells RNLI Lifeboat Appeal, West Norfolk Riding for the Disabled, West Norfolk National Autistic Society & The Friends of Magdalen School.)
2017 Rolex Fastnet – £3950
Clipper Training & Offshore Race Kit – £5500
Leg 8 – £6500
Plus: Additional personal kit, travelling expenses & insurance etc.
Some interesting facts:
- During the last Clipper Race, the Clipper Comms team worked with over 3500 different media outlets, producing between them over 18,000 stories about the race, reaching a unique audience of almost 2 billion people worldwide over the twelve month period of the race. The majority of these stories were about the crew.
- The Clipper Race is the only round the world yacht race not crewed by professional sailors.
- 138 Countries follow the Clipper Race.
- Of the 700 Crew taking part, 40% of them will never have sailed before getting on a Clipper Yacht.
- Crew members must all complete four weeks of intensive training in either Australia or Gosport UK.
- Only seven boats competed in the first Fastnet Race in 1925, now there is an entry limit of 340.
- In 1925 the winner completed the course in 147 hours, today boats aim to beat the current record of 42 hours 39 minutes.
- The Rolex Fastnet is a biennial event, the 2017 race will be the 47th edition of the race.
- Entries for the 2017 Rolex Fastnet reached the 340 boat limit 4 minutes 24 seconds after entries opened.
Further information & contact details:
Interested in becoming part of my Shore Team? Please contact me to discuss further:
T: 07817 160725